When bleaching out a white t-shirt, there are several time-tested methods that you can choose from Therefore, it is worth learning more about each method.
Ways to whiten a t-shirt at home using baking soda and lemon juice.
- Baking Soda. If you are using a washing machine, you should load a standard amount of detergent and ½ cup of baking soda into your washing machine. Choose the wash cycle depending on the type of fabric. When soaking and hand washing, pour approximately 1 gallon of water into a sink or bucket, add 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, and 2 tablespoons of soda. The item should be left to soak for 3 hours. If you decide to boil out your t-shirt, add 3 tablespoons of baking soda to soak with the item.
- Lemon juice. This method won’t work well to remove old stains, but it works well on relatively new stains. Fill a sink or bucket with 2 gallons of warm water, then add the fresh juice from 2 lemons. The T-shirt should be put into the liquid and left for a while, preferably overnight. After soaking, be sure to rinse.
Whitening a t-shirt using medical supplies (potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia)
- Hydrogen peroxide. Take half a gallon water and add a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. The t-shirt should soak in the bucket with the hydrogen peroxide and be left for half an hour. You will need to stir periodically to whiten the item uniformly.
- Potassium permanganate. You should add some crystals of potassium permanganate and approximately 10 tablespoons of detergent to gallons of hot water. Stir the liquid carefully, so that the water becomes pinkish. Immerse the t-shirt into this liquid, then cover it with some saran wrap. It is necessary to wait until the water has completely cooled After all remove the t-shirt and rinse it out properly.
- Ammonia. 1 teaspoon of ammonia should be dissolved in one gallon of water. To get the item even whiter, feel free to add a spoonful of salt and detergent. Let the t-shirt soak in the liquid for 30 minutes, then be sure to rinse it out.
There are many ways to get rid of stains out of your white t-shirts. We recommend you follow the instructions on the clothing label, otherwise, you could damage the fabric of the t-shirt. Remember to choose a whitening method depending on the fabric and the degree of the stain.